Saturday, September 22, 2018

rocket stove fail

Here is a set of action shots as I was experimenting with a rocket stove. My goal is to have 9 rocket stoves surrounding the main bonfire but I'm hoping for a descent flame. I drilled a 1 inch hole about 4-5 inches deep and then a 1 inch hole from the side. I poured some swissgel in the hole and ignited it.


I got a 3-4 inch initial flame but it really did not last.


I sispect that because I used a 1 inch bit the walls were smooth and just didn't have the volume to generate a real flame. The gel did not really help either because the gel suspended the heat away from the wood until it would ignite.


I even tried a puddle of fuel on some tinder in order to light the side of the log and it too failed. I even tried to dribbed get along the side and that went out too.


Eventually I opened the hole a little and things got just a little better.


 I tried another puddle of gel under the log but that was really slow.


I leaned some bark over the gel and it ignited but the log seemed to fail.


And then it seemed to ignite.


The gel seems to be a total fail. I need to try some other material like mulch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

another bad day for open source

One of the hallmarks of a good open source project is just how complicated it is to install, configure and maintain. Happily gitlab and the ...