Skip to main content

Example SFlow

Previously I mentioned a project, execon, which I'm planning to rename SFlow, however, one of the missing pieces for the casual reader is what's it all about?


func DeleteMerchInfoHandlerOld(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) (int, error) {
        if r.Method != "DELETE" {
                return http.StatusMethodNotAllowed, errInvalidMethod
        payloadValue := r.FormValue("payload")
        if payloadValue == "" {
                return http.StatusBadRequest, errExpectedEmpty

        request := mdata.RemoteRequest{}
        if err := json.Unmarshal([]byte(payloadValue), &request); err != nil {
                return http.StatusBadRequest, err

        merchInfo := mdata.MerchInfo{}
        if err := transcode.Transform(&merchInfo, request); err != nil {
                return http.StatusBadRequest, err

        if found := merchinfo.Dirty(merchInfo); found == false {
                return http.StatusBadRequest, errMerchNotFound

        return http.StatusOK, nil


type DeleteMerchInfo struct {
        Init                 execon.ExeConTask `params:"FIRST"`
        MustDeleteMethod     execon.ExeConTask
        PayloadNotEmpty      execon.ExeConTask
        ParsePayload         execon.ExeConTask
        CastPayloadMerchInfo execon.ExeConTask
        SetMerchInfoDirty    execon.ExeConTask `switch:"{\"HttpError\":\"Finish\"}"`
        Finish               execon.ExeConTask
        Error                execon.ExeConTask
        HttpError            execon.ExeConTask

I don't want to spoon feed the reader with all of the gory details but there were a bunch of things that I learned in the process of converting this workflow.

  1. The AFTER is so much easier to read
  2. The AFTER is so much easier to extend
  3. The AFTER takes advantage of shared code library
  4. The AFTER can actually be assembled, composed or generated from textural fragments or gists
  5. The BEFORE did not have enough documentation
  6. The BEFORE did not consider some other options
  7. The BEFORE required the user to interpret the summary description
As a side effect there were a number of testcases that I missed. There were a few test cases that were broken and needed fixing. And in one case I had missed a use-case that needed to be tested. And while I was working in this particular "switch" (above) I found that I missed a case in the framework implementation. (for another day; but no one is perfect).


Popular posts from this blog

Entry level cost for CoreOS+Tectonic

CoreOS and Tectonic start their pricing at 10 servers. Managed CoreOS starts at $1000 per month for those first 10 servers and Tectonic is $5000 for the same 10 servers. Annualized that is $85K or at least one employee depending on your market. As a single employee company I'd rather hire the employee. Specially since I only have 3 servers.

The pricing is biased toward the largest servers with the largest capacities; my dual core 32GB i5 IntelNuc can never be mistaken for a 96-CPU dual or quad core DELL

If CoreOS does not figure out a different barrier of entry they are going to follow the Borland path to obscurity.

UPDATE 2017-10-30: With gratitude the CoreOS team has provided updated information on their pricing, however, I stand by my conclusion that the effective cost is lower when you deploy monster machines. The cost per node of my 1 CPU Intel NUC is the same as a 96 CPU server when you get beyond 10 nodes. I'll also reiterate that while my pricing notes are not currently…

Agile is still dead and has been since 1991

[updated 2011.09.30] yet another response to Agile is good.
When you have so much of you career invested in something like Agile, XP etc... it can be hard to see the forest for the trees. I had a consulting job in The Haag many years ago. IBM was the incumbent contractor at the customer site (a bank) but after 5 years on the job they had not written a single line of functioning code. In the office there were two teams of software people... both behind closed doors. The first team was the Data team and the second team was Functional. They rarely spoke and they never shared information. I was there for a week, introduced the client to OO and we had a functioning prototype. Smart people do smart things, You cannot make an underachiever exceptional by using Agile. Either they get "it" or they don't.
I just commented on a blog. I'm sure there is some validity to his post beyond observing that Agile Scrum is broken. It certainly is not what it was originally intended but for…

eGalax touch on default Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

I have not had success with the touch drivers as yet.  The touch works and evtest also seems to report events, however, I have noticed that the button click is not working and no matter what I do xinput refuses to configure the buttons correctly.  When I downgraded to ubuntu 10.04 LTS everything sort of worked... there must have been something in the kermel as 10.04 was in the 2.6 kernel and 4.04 is in the 3.x branch.

One thing ... all of the documentation pointed to the wrong website or one in Taiwanese. I was finally able to locate the drivers again: (it would have been nice if they provided the install instructions in text rather than PDF)
Please open the document "EETI_eGTouch_Programming_Guide" under the Guide directory, and follow the Guidline to install driver.
download the appropriate versionunzip the fileread the programming manual And from that I'm distilling to the following: execute the answer all of the questio…