Skip to main content

Lua is "good enough" development at it's worst

I'm trying to rewrite my Asterisk CDR capture program from PHP to just about anything else. I inherited the PHP version of the program from a programmer who did not know anything about concurrency or performance. Inside the Asterisk configuration there is a file "extensions_custom.conf".  This file contains all of the scripts for the individual PBX extensions. And when the call is completed the last thing the script does is capture the CDR.

The first thing that you might say is that I should use the built-in CDR recording. I would except for two important reasons.  My extension file contains many customizations so I need the CDR to reflect that information accurately. The second is that the built-in capture does not really address concurrency from the reporting/admin side of the equation. Regardless of the database or storage that info needs to be taken off-box so that it can be reported on... think map/reduce.

Back to the PHP code I have the following challenges: (a) it's PHP and the interpreter needs to be loaded with each call completion. (b) the output is a textfile in a log directory. The file is a standard unix file with no concurrency mechanisms or file lock detection and avoidance. Needless to say the PHP version must go.

My first replacement was going to be built with golang. I wrote a separate article on that experience. In summary 3rd party libs FAIL.

My second choice was Lua. For one reason the redis team was using it for it's scripting and so I wanted to learn it. The work was not hard but the documentation was not written like any language manual I had ever read previously. The best and worst part seems to be that the built-in functions are strictly limited. The idea being that 3rd parties would deliver the missing pieces.

At one time or another that was probably true, however, while trying to get the missing bits to work I found that the LuaForge project is practically dead. The individual projects are starting to scatter to the 4 corners.

As a side note it seems that a great many developers are still using Lua 5.1 even though Lua 5.2 has been available for about a month. The common response has been that not much had changed to warrant the change; although there were some compatibility issues.

In the end I simply do not understand the Lua ecosystem and since this is not that critical because I can code this project in C directly. I wanted to give Lua a fair chance after all the previous comments I've made. Basically Lua is still crap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry level cost for CoreOS+Tectonic

CoreOS and Tectonic start their pricing at 10 servers. Managed CoreOS starts at $1000 per month for those first 10 servers and Tectonic is $5000 for the same 10 servers. Annualized that is $85K or at least one employee depending on your market. As a single employee company I'd rather hire the employee. Specially since I only have 3 servers.

The pricing is biased toward the largest servers with the largest capacities; my dual core 32GB i5 IntelNuc can never be mistaken for a 96-CPU dual or quad core DELL

If CoreOS does not figure out a different barrier of entry they are going to follow the Borland path to obscurity.

UPDATE 2017-10-30: With gratitude the CoreOS team has provided updated information on their pricing, however, I stand by my conclusion that the effective cost is lower when you deploy monster machines. The cost per node of my 1 CPU Intel NUC is the same as a 96 CPU server when you get beyond 10 nodes. I'll also reiterate that while my pricing notes are not currently…

eGalax touch on default Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

I have not had success with the touch drivers as yet.  The touch works and evtest also seems to report events, however, I have noticed that the button click is not working and no matter what I do xinput refuses to configure the buttons correctly.  When I downgraded to ubuntu 10.04 LTS everything sort of worked... there must have been something in the kermel as 10.04 was in the 2.6 kernel and 4.04 is in the 3.x branch.

One thing ... all of the documentation pointed to the wrong website or one in Taiwanese. I was finally able to locate the drivers again: http://www.eeti.com.tw/drivers_Linux.html (it would have been nice if they provided the install instructions in text rather than PDF)
Please open the document "EETI_eGTouch_Programming_Guide" under the Guide directory, and follow the Guidline to install driver.
download the appropriate versionunzip the fileread the programming manual And from that I'm distilling to the following: execute the setup.sh answer all of the questio…

Prometheus vs Bosun

In conclusion... while Bosun(B) is still not the ideal monitoring system neither is Prometheus(P).

TL;DR;

I am running Bosun in a Docker container hosted on CoreOS. Fleet service/unit files keep it running. However in once case I have experienced at least one severe crash as a result of a disk full condition. That it is implemented as part golang, java and python is an annoyance. The MIT license is about the only good thing.

I am trying to integrate Prometheus into my pipeline but losing steam fast. The Prometheus design seems to desire that you integrate your own cache inside your application and then allow the server to scrape the data, however, if the interval between scrapes is shorter than the longest transient session of your application then you need a gateway. A place to shuttle your data that will be a little more persistent.

(1) storing the data in my application might get me started more quickly
(2) getting the server to pull the data might be more secure
(3) using a push g…